Community Building and Fellowship
Church doesn’t just happen on Sundays, and it’s about much more than a worship service. We offer a variety of opportunities to gather with friends in your faith community.
Covenant Groups provide opportunities for supportive relationships through which our covenant community may be realized. Unlike many other groups in the congregation, they do not have a task or agenda. They exist for members to know one another and to be known.
Some of our Covenant Groups are listed here, though we offer many more:
- Book Club Books are selected by members, and they have lively and far-ranging discussions on the third Thursday of each month, led by the person who selected the book.
- Chaplains, Pastoral Counselors, and Friends This group is for those who are involved in the art of pastoral care. The group meets monthly for support and discussion as they offer care in a variety of clinical settings.
- Circle of Friends Meets the third Thursday of each month at Thinking Man Tavern in Decatur to have lunch and conversation.
- Elbows on the Table This group meets on the second Saturday of each month at different restaurants selected by the group.
- Genealogical Research Many have started the process of genealogical research. Some want to. This group meets to share findings and help one another over those research brick walls.
- Green Team Creates outlets for outdoor activities as well as promotes environmental action and awareness.
- Honey Bee This group gets together to learn about honey bees, what to plant for them, their life cycle, and how they function as a superorganism.
- Instrumentalists Play musical instruments together and who may be available for morning worship and other occasions.
- The Met in HD at the Movies The Metropolitan Opera transmits 10 live operas a year to movie theaters in Atlanta. They start at 12:55 on Saturdays. There are several locations that Oakhurst members attend together.
Coffee, Books, & More
This group meets on Friday mornings to enjoy coffee and other treats over a good book discussion. And what is the more? It’s always different. Join us to find out.
Good Fellowship Club
This group is mainly composed of members of the Oakhurst Community who have been meeting together for years. On Thursday mornings, they eat together, have devotional and prayer time, participate in service projects, and take trips together.
Ministry of Presence
All interested meet on the second and fourth Thursday evenings of the month to be present to one another. There is a time of listening for each individual as well as a time of prayer.